Sponsors l Privacy Policy

Physical Therapy Programs - Different Physical Therapy Programs in the United States

Are you looking to start a career in physical therapy? First thing that you should consider is to determine what type of physical therapy program your going to take. In the United States, there are two basic physical therapy programs that you can choose from: a master of physical therapy (MPT) or a doctoral degree in physical therapy (DPT).

Physical Therapy Programs - Basic Information

Master of Physical Therapy (MPT)

A master of physical therapy or master of science in physical therapy (MSPT) is awarded to physical therapists who successfully finished their master's degree from an accredited physical therapy school or university. The initials MPT or MSPT is attached to the name of the therapist who successfully pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE).

Doctoral Degree in Physical Therapy

A doctoral degree in physical therapy, or DPT, is a clinical doctoral degree awarded to physical therapists who finish their doctoral degree from an accredited school or university and passed the licensure examination given for physical therapists.

If you are planning to take physical therapy, consider the doctoral degree as most physical therapy programs in the U.S. are now offering the DPT degree, which may take you about 3 years to finish. Master's degree programs in the United States typically are 2 to 2.5 years in length.

Suggested Readings


Page Updated: July 25, 2011